Sunday 1 September 2013

Update: My snail cream trial

In my previous post on snail creams, I mentioned that I started my own little trial of products containing snail secretion. Well, it's been 4 weeks, and here are the results of my little "experiment" (albeit a very non-scientific one!):
  
Product: It’s Skin Prestige D’escargot special trial kit
Regimen: 
Morning: Toner & emulsion
Night: Toner & cream

(Disclaimer: This is not an advertisement for the brand! It just happens that this product is what my hubby brought back from Korea for me.)

In my Google search, I didn’t manage to find the percentage of snail secretion filtrate contained in these products. I only came across this description of the cream:
“First class luxurious cream contains mucin (snail mucus), the ingredient with superior cell restoration, moisturization, and skin trouble relieving effects, and EGF (epidermal growth factor), through the combination of which creates a synergy effect to regenerate damaged cells, the fundamental cause for skin aging.”

Oops! So I didn’t realize that the cream contains EGF (epidermal growth factor) as well… That’s another ingredient which is also claimed to repair damaged skin. Hmm. This could present a confounding factor to the results…

Without further ado, here are the results!

Under-eye area:
Under-eye area at baseline, 2 weeks and 4 weeks
Puffiness seems to have decreased. Fine lines under my eye are still present after 4 weeks, but looks slightly improved. (Honestly, I can’t tell by looking in the mirror, but the pictures seem to suggest an improvement.)
Being the skeptic that I am, I was genuinely surprised by the improvement! And happy too, of course.

Hyperpigmentation:
Hyperpigmentation on left cheek at baseline, 2 weeks and 4 weeks
No noticeable difference in the hyperpigmentation spot on my left cheek.

Old chicken pox scars:
Chicken pox scars on right cheek at baseline, 2 weeks and 4 weeks
No noticeable difference in the old chicken pox scars on my right cheek.

Conclusion:

From my own limited experience, I have come to a conclusion that snail cream is definitely not the “miracle cream” it is commonly advertised to be. However (at least for me), it did help to slightly reduce the appearance of fine lines/wrinkles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment