Friday 13 September 2013

Toner, serum, emulsion, etc.

Before I got married, my skincare regimen consisted only of a facial cleanser. Oh, and an antibiotic cream for acne when I was in my teens. But ever since my hubby went to Korea and bought lots of skincare products for me, I've tried using many different products. (Otherwise they will be wasted, right?) J

For someone who’s only known what “cleanser” was, seeing all the different names of the various types of products was a confusing experience for me! These are some of the products that I commonly encounter:

Cleanser:
I guess everyone knows this! J Used for washing your face with.

Toner:
For use after cleansing, usually to remove any excess oil or makeup residue, shrink pores, and restore the pH balance of the skin.
Apparently, there is some controversy about toners nowadays, since many dermatologists and beauty editors believe that toners are not an essential part of a skincare regimen, unless you have extremely oily or acne-prone skin. (I read that here.)

Softener:
The term “softener” is more commonly found in Japanese / Korean products. Softeners are basically toners but as the name suggests, they are meant to hydrate the skin instead of drying it out.

Serum:
Serums are products containing active ingredients such as vitamins / antioxidants in high concentrations and are designed to penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin. Serums are meant to be applied after toner, and before moisturiser. A small amount (a few drops) would be sufficient for the whole face.

Essence:
A lighter version of serum (less concentrated).

Emulsion:
Also known as lotion, this is a moisturiser with a liquid consistency. It’s not as “heavy”/oily as creams.

Cream:
A “heavier” moisturiser with a creamy texture.

These are just the basics! I sometimes encounter other less heard-of terms which are used to describe specific products (or worse, sometimes no English words on the products), so when I don’t know how to use a product, Google is my friend! :P








No comments:

Post a Comment